Friday, May 13, 2011

constants and variables.

Much as I hate to admit it, math terms sometimes do apply to life outside. I’ve been thinking about this lately and I’ve realized there are constants, the things that stay the same no matter what happens, and then there are variables, things that are ever-evolving.

Like the weather.





One day the sky is blue and pock-marked with a few clouds, and the temperature is warm. The next day it is a torrent of a thunderstorm, bringing a cool front. No one can really predict it. It varies too much.

Kind of like hair. It’s so easy to switch it up: dye it, cut, it, curl it, straight it, hide it under a hat, shave it all off. I got my haircut yesterday, about five inches. I like that; it’s always soft and bouncy after being straight-ironed, which I only do when I get it cut. I keep on stroking it...


please excuse my stupid expression
These are things that are always changing. Fickle and evolving. Things like friendship, or really, any relationships. Thinking back to a year ago, I haven’t talked to some people who I was good friends at the time in months. And some of the people I am friends with now, I didn’t even know a year ago. Many people in your life are just variables, they come and go, leaving only memories...

Sorry, I didn’t mean for that to sound so morose.


But there are also the constants. Your family. The ones you know who will always love you, always have your back. Your true friends. They’re the constants in your life.











And there are other constants, too. Things that happen everyday. The sunrise, the sunset, and all the little things in between. The consistency of life. Things you know you can rely on, like the knowledge that spring will come again, and rise up in triumph of winter. 


Smaller things, too, like the fact that your mom will always have a cup of coffee in the morning. Constants and variables. You need both in life, variables to change things up when it gets boring and constants to even it out, to provide something solid.

By the way, these are worry dolls, for those of you who were wondering. :)

Aah, I'm so glad Blogger is back. :) I was going to post this yesterday, but it was down, so I typed it all up in Google Docs. :P Happy Friday the Thirteenth! It's actually been a pretty good day so far; I got another A+ on an algebra test (we've had two in the past, like, week and I'm on a roll) and had left-over fried rice for a snack (the best.) And, of course, it's the weekend.

-Kendall

4 comments:

  1. Hallelujah for Google Docs! I did the same thing, otherwise I would've probably forgot every single word in my post. :P

    ~Leanna
    ( love the photos btw, your hair is so cute! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you compared constants and variables to life's events. You are a brilliant writer, my friend.

    You look absolutely lovely, Kendall. And, I am particularly fond of that coffee photo. It has such a nice vintage feel to it.

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The variable and constant comparing is so true. I love this post so very much <3 You are so gorgeous, Kendall. :) I know exactly what you mean about the "stroking your hair". ^_^
    I'm glad Blogger is back so I can read your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a wonderful way with your words - simply beautiful. Lovely, lovely post :)

    K xx @www.thoseblissmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.