Tuesday, June 21, 2011

the longest day of the year.

Happy Solstice! It's the first official day of summer & it darn well feels like it. Ninety-nine degrees. Bit on the cool side. (I'm only half joking.)

I celebrated in increments. Strawberries for breakfast, visiting the nature center's pond (two kids fell in--heh. Neither was hurt, though!), cooling off with an iced beverage* when I got home, writing my birthday wishlist, listening to the Jack Johnson station on Pandora. Aaand, happy news, I have Harry Potter tickets! Oh, yes.


So, today was my first day as a CIT. It was, as expected, fine, but long. We played tag, pet a snake, and splatter-painted, among many things. Well, the kids did. I mostly cleaned up paint, put away toys & tied their shoes. But you know, it's worth it.

[We were talking about going to the sun, and being inside of it.] One little girl: "It would be like being in a really hot pineapple!"

Because of that.

Where do kids even get these things?

Anyway. I spent a lot of time outside, in the sun. It's quite tiring but it makes it all the nicer coming indoors, to air-conditioning. I love being outside all day and then just hanging out in the evenings. Browsing inspiring blogs, making lists, yes, eating dessert. Speaking of, I'm currently compiling a list of things to bake when I have the time--do you have any good recipes to suggest? I'd love your ideas.


Well, it's the first day of summer, so I hope you did something fun! If you didn't, it's okay, you still have all summer. Ride bikes, drink lemonade, go barefoot. Embrace the sunshine (but don't forget sunscreen!). And to my southern-hemisphere readers: have fun in the cold. I envy you in an odd way, as it's really hot here.

Also: These pictures are old; from last summer, with my point-and-shoot (you can see the reflection in the first one). I just haven't taken any since I got home so I'm resurrecting these. Huzzah!

-Kendall

*Which is actually water but that sound lame so I went with the generic. 

9 comments:

  1. 1. Love the photos. They're so much brilliance! =)

    2. The pineapple comment? I laughed, outloud. Like a fool. But it's the first day of summer. So I don't care! =D

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually started a new blog series today! http://bit.ly/fTrmOM

    I went to an arboretum near my house and took some pictures, then wrote about it when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm jealous. it's winter and i'm cold.
    asfjasjflkjahf
    i don't know what that means ^
    ok bye. have a great summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer is my favorite season! I love that today is the longest day of the year and the heat is wonderful, although it does get tiring.

    I LOVE baking! Let me see if I can find any good recipes to share. Do you like to bake bread? That's one of my favorite things to make, especially when I have a bread machine to use. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this isn't baking, but I love this rice! This goes well with any Mexican meal. It's seriously amazing. :)


    Cilantro Lime Rice

    A Fast Delicious Recipe

    Have you tried cilantro lime rice with your mexican food? If not give this recipe a try or head on down to your local Chipotle Restaurant.

    The first time I ate there I was surprised to see this cilantro lime rice being served in my burrito. I thought to myself "What is this white rice they are serving?" Upon sinking my teeth into my burrito I was pleasantly surprised. Wow! What Flavor...I said "Wow, what kind of rice is that? It's delicious." I've been hooked on this chipotle rice recipe ever since.

    I still love Spanish rice but this sure is a nice change once in a while. And it takes less time to make than spanish rice.This rice with it's fragrant hint of lime and cilantro makes a fine side dish for Mexican food as well as other dishes. It goes great in burritos, a side dish with black beans, enchiladas, you name it.

    Try it with teriyaki chicken, beef, shrimp and other types of fish too. Cilantro lime rice has such nice flavor that this dish can definitely stand on its' own.
    You can use a variety of different types of rice to make this recipe. Basmati and long grain white rice are the norm but you can also make it with healthy brown rice. With brown rice of course you will have to increase the cooking time and liquid. Just follow the package directions. I will mention that there is a little difference between the Basmati rice and long grain. The basmati rice will tend to be a bit "drier" and less likely to clump together. They both work well so just use what you have on hand.

    Cilantro lime Rice Recipe serves 4

    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 cup basmati rice
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
    zest from one lime
    1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
    1 tsp. salt

    Directions:

    Add the oil to a sauce pan and heat on low. Add the garlic and rice to the oil and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat stirring frequently.

    Add the chicken broth, salt, lime juice and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or according to rice package directions.

    When the rice is done, add lime zest and chopped cilantro and stir to mix in. Serve immediately.

    If you are using regular long grain rice, follow the cooking directions on the box regarding the amount of liquid to use and the cooking time.

    This rice would go great with our chile verde recipe. Check it out.

    Enjoy,
    Rockin Robin

    More Recipes on our Cooking Blog
    http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.c...lime-rice.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These rolls are so delicious and they go well with casseroles and soups. :D

    Rye Rolls

    1 1/2 cups warm water
    3 Tbl vegetable oil
    1/4 cup molasses (treacle)
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking cocoa (unsweetened)
    3 3/4 cups flour
    3/4 cup rye flour
    1 Tbl yeast

    Combine all ingredients in bread machine on dough cycle. When done, form into 20 rolls or 9 bread bowls and place in greased pan to rise until doubled. Bake at 200 degrees Celcius for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *The rolls can be made without a bread machine. They just take a while longer to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, yesterday was your longest day of the year, here (australia) it was the shortest!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy summer! And as for food... Cooking For Seven has an excellent recipe for Oatmeal & Raisin cookies, and Honey&Jam and Tartelette are other great food blogs if you're looking for yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.