Saturday, August 06, 2011

from planes to trains (d.c. part i)

I'm home from Washington, D.C.! It was marvelous, the weather was nice despite everything, I got to see my family, etc. etc. Just a warning, though: I took 244 pictures. So, this may take a while.

day one.



We landed in Baltimore and then took the Amtrack into the city. From there we took the Metro and did some walking, two things we got quite accustomed to this week. We got settled in our hotel -- I shared a room with my aunt & cousin, for the sake of space.


My whole family went out for dinner at an Italian place. Traveling with 16 people is definitely an adventure. It's always interesting to watch waiters raise their eyebrows after they hear the number of seats needed. I think it was definitely good for their businesses, though. ;)




Walking around town at night.

day two.

Sunday morning, we went to the Eastern Market, this outdoor...well, market. I almost bought some sunglasses, because it was super sunny and like the smart person I am, I left mine at home. But again, like the smart person I am, I also left my money at home...so that didn't happen.

They had beautiful strawberries. 

From there, we took the Metro to the National Mall. Now, in all the pictures I've ever seen of it, it looks all green and happy with people picnicking in the grass and stuff. In reality, it looked like Texas. Which is to say, very sad. But the Washington Monument was still an impressive figure.

We took some time for walking around and found these ducks. Quack! 

Then the majority of the afternoon was spent in the Holocaust Museum. It was very hallowing; I've read many books about this subject, but this put everything in a new light, per se. Even my cousin, who's been to several Holocaust museums, said she enjoyed it. 

That night we went to a deeelicious Indian restaurant (thank you Clarissa for finally teaching me how to spell that word! Hah) but I forgot my camera. It was just as well, because by the end of the week I was so tired of lugging that thing around. I even had a bruise from where it would hit me repeatedly as I walked. #dedication

metro motion blur
More to come!

It's so nice to be back blogging. I can't remember the last time I didn't blog for a week. That's sad. Anyway, thank you so much to my guest posters! You should check out their posts if you haven't already. :) Have an awesome day!

-Kendall 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip :) Love the photos and can't wait to see more from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhh!!!!! that's me!!!! I saw the first picture and I started looking for myself and the I'm like "Oh... there's my back" And I love the picture of the strawberries its so summer-ry!

    ~~maura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Kendall! Those plane shots of the clouds have me itching to travel. And, those strawberries do look delicious. I can't wait to see the rest of your photos.

    Oh, and thanks so much for having me as a guest poster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the holocaust museum after 6th grade... It was so depressing. The guy on the bus asked us how it was, and when I said depressing, he acted like I was stupid because that was obvious. What else was I supposed to say?! Anyways, I love DC, I'm sad I only spent 3 days there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those strawberries look delicious. My brother went to DC with his A-Level Politics class but he didn't take any photos. So I'm thinking, oh, maybe he went there?
    I'm excited to see/hear/read more!
    {and ta v. much for letting me blog!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I haven't blogged in a week, either! I was on the the East Coast, too! But not in D.C., we went there for President's Day! :D

    ~Miranda

    P.S. I'm glad you had fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe... i THINK that's how you spell it... (i love seeing all the photos you showed me on your camera, slowly making their way onto your blog :D) xxx Clarissa (4 views on my photo, OMG ahhh jks jks :P)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.