Wednesday, October 19, 2011

what pictures can't show

completely unedited purple sky. I have never seen it that color before. clearly sunsets are one thing pictures can show.


No matter how hard you try, there will always be some things that can't be shared through photographs, like smells, tastes, sounds, and feelings (and vampires?). Then there are the times when you don't have your camera, so words have to suffice. I greatly admire anyone who can paint a picture with words and make you feel like you are in the scene. That's what I want to be able to do someday. Someday.

Here are some moments that couldn't be photographed, but I still want to remember:

Watching the sun rise on the way to school. Not just the colors and the light, but the quiet that punctures the car. Me, waking up alongside the sun. 

The songs stuck in my head. It's gone from Ke$ha to Starkid to some Spanish song I only know one line of. Basically, it's whatever the people around me are singing. 

The chilly air that has swept down and covered our town. I don't know how long it will last before the temperature rises again, but I'm enjoying breaking out the sweaters and extra blankets. 

The loudness of my house after dinnertime. Pandora is always on, my sister is always eagerly telling a story, and the phone seems to be perpetually ringing. No matter how many times I lament that I cannot concentrate with that much noise, it still continues. Who knows; maybe someday, I'll miss it. 

Longing for the cabin (speaking of missing). I miss different places at the randomest times. Lately it's been my grandparents' cabin in California. I miss the mountains and the lake, and every time I see a picture of either of those, I picture myself there. We're going there for Christmas, and I'm excited because it's been more than a year. I like the snow, the fireplace, the scenery. It's beautiful. You can take pictures of a place, but not of your thoughts of a place. 

Finally, time. How can you accurately document time passing? I don't think you can. The flurry of moments that all seem to blend together combined with the disbelief of how quickly they fly by. That's how I feel right now. I can't believe it's already October 19th, more than halfway through the month. I'm probably going to be busy busy busy for a while -- definitely in November as I'm, uh, writing a novel -- but it's mostly a good busy.

Happy middle-of-the-week! 

Kendall

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree that sunsets can never be captured on camera.

    and eep for NANOWRIMO!! I'm not doing it this year, but yay for you! Prepare your mind beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen the sky that purple one other time in my life. It was the week after I moved to... where I live now... XD

    ~Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That color. I've never seen anything like it! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love purple sky. it's always been my favorite.
    LF

    ReplyDelete
  5. woah. That sky looks amazing! <3 colorful skies just make my day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.